1. Preservation of capital.
2. Maximisation of income always compatible with objective 1.
3. Publicise our existence and objectives to our target recipients.
4. Distribution of a sum each year equivalent to the net income, after expenses, of the previous year.
5. In the case of equally worthy and competing applications our guiding principle is "where we make the most difference".
6. Ensure cost-effectiveness by prioritising projects supported by a strong evidence-base and effective means of measuring outcomes.
7. Standardise demands made by the Trust on applicants and grant holders.
8. Monitor the BMCT's own performance, ensuring decisions are made that are consistent with the known evidence base and share experiences with other charitable and philanthropic organisations.
9. Minimise running costs of the Trust compatible with the efficient running of the organisation and the achievement of objectives.
10. Review these operating guidelines every 2 years.